Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Noddy

Ever so often I find myself nodding to things ppl say without even being aware of what i am nodding to! Little do they know that I am completely lost when i do that. This does not augur well for me at all, I can get myself into serious trouble cos of this without even realizing it. So I've decided to take serious note of this, lest I end up regretting something! This got me thinking as to why i do that? Yes, it is very much possible that I am slowly but surely going deaf. On so many occassions I've asked ppl to repeat what they say. Sometimes I get what they say and on numerous other times I give up and just nod along. I should probably improve my comprehension skills. But sometimes I blame the ppl who talk to me, I mean how on earth can they expect me to understand them when they are sitting some 100 yards away in a crowded place and mumble something to themselves!? During these times, I just nod along to help them (I may not actually BE helping them out) to prevent them from screaming their head off. There is another scenario, something that I hate personally. Lets say a group of 5 or more ppl go out somewhere and I end up sitting in the corner(this happens to me a lot, that's probably cos the others face the same problem and have gotten smarter and they occupy the middle seats(this also has its own disadvantages btw)). So I am sitting in the corner and ppl start making smaller sub groups and start chatting away. Of course since i am not involved i start to keep myself busy with my thots and suddenly out of the blue if ppl turn to me and ask me a question, I really dont know what to say cos hey! I wasnt even listening. But in order to avoid getting thrashed, i have to say something and i end up saying a simple yes or no. Of course if the question is not such a question which requires a yes/no, I get caught and have to sheepishly admit to preoccupation with my thots!
Therefore I have to either
a) sharpen my listening skills or
b) develop a unique "Nod" that would stand for both a yes and a no in which case, if I see someone shocked by my reaction, i can always claim to be doing the opposite!! :) :D

which one is easier??

3 comments:

Karan said...

i think u r beyond help
Should i type again? do u have a problem with ur eyesight as well?
:P

Murali said...

It is ok to be pre-occupied with ur own thoughts peggy...just dont do it a lot ;)

Thats the only realisation you need to have I guess...And don't worry, here's a reassurance...I've faced ur situation a million times with my Team Lead...He just mumbles something, with his back to mine and I'm supposed to decipher it! tchah!!

Anonymous said...

aaah.. nan thara irbeku...

sit till u think u can take it, use ur phone to call somebody and talk to them... then say bye bye to the mortals u r meeting... and leav without anymore explanation..

i still remember that day... maja banthu...