Sunday, March 11, 2007

Tatha's bureau

My tatha's bureau(cupboard) was the object of my childhood curisoity! I always always used to wonder what he kept in it!! He used to always open only one door and do some thing or the other, what he did I still dont know, but I always wanted to peek and see what treasure it held.
So after he died, we i.e. all his grandchildren held a grand ceremony to open the old, ancient (one belonging to the British Raj days) Burma teak wood cupboard. And boy oh boy did it smell only of napthalene and nothing else! But my tatha being my tatha was extremely neat and organized. What we found left us very disppointed cos it had only some papers which my astrologer tatha used as reference material, papers he used to keep track of who owed him how much money and whom he owed money. Of course we also found some of his cute hats and walking sticks and coats that he proudly wore only when he went to the US! :)

Coming to the cupboard itself, well what i can say, it is my tathas and has been in our family for the last 60 years!! It is an antique piece which today is standing very nicely in my bedroom. It still smells of napthalene and reminds me of my tatha so much! :) Hats off to those carpenters for giving it such a fabulous finish. It is incredible!! And I am proud that we i.e. my sis and me dint let my pati sell it off to some one else! :)

4 comments:

Murali said...

Continuing in the series of thoughtful, nostalgic blogs...she's churned out another hit! :)

Mind passing me the astrology related notes??

Padma said...

Since when did it become YOUR bedroom :D ..

Well written Pragnya!!

Pragnya said...

@Murali: Thanks! :D
@Padma: It became my room ever since I started sleeping there :), but since i live all over the house, the entire house belongs to meeee!! :-P (sad one but still, makes me proud)!

Goley said...

Good post :)